There are many reasons why people have to wean their babies under 7 weeks.
- The mom is no longer nursing the babies and nipping or biting them to make them stay away from her.
- A baby is being bullied or picked on.
- The cage is getting too small - with litters with over 5 kits, the space runs out quickly!
- The babies are getting too messy (pooping and peeing on each other). This is usually because the cage is too small.
- The mom is getting frisky with her babies in attempt to breed again.
- The babies no longer nurse - they prefer hay, water and pellets.
To me, these are the only reasons a bunny should be weaned under 7 weeks. For the purpose of selling them when they are smaller and "cuter", well, that's just selfish.
If you have to wean a baby under 7 weeks old, there are some extra steps you can take to ensure the baby will wean properly and not get sick or have digestive issues.
- Provide the baby with hay, hay, hay! Lots of hay. Never ending supply of hay.
- If you have probiotics like AcidPak 4Way, put that in their water.
- Make sure they have enough food, and finally,
- Give them lots of love!!!!!