After the picture, I'm going to share some gruesome details because I think they could be helpful to others by providing information. But if you have a weak stomach, skip to the next paragraph after the picture.
Prolapse of the uterus is extremely rare but has many causes. One is trauma during labor; stuck kits or a difficult labor. This is what I expect; but it's so shocking to me because she had two live 3-day old kits and had NO evidence of another stuck baby, trauma during labor, or anything. She was one day overdue when they were born; but besides that, she had birthed 2 live babies and was eating, drinking, and nursing the kits just fine.
I was actually very worried that Buttercup, my broken orange doe due the same day as Angie, would suffer from a prolapse because she was in visible labor for days and delivered 2 giant, 5-inch long dead babies days apart. But she was fine. I was so shocked that Angie was not.
I spent a lot of time last night figuring out what I can do with Angie's orphaned kits. I've never experienced the death of a doe after delivery, or having a litter of kits with no mom. This is very new to me. I have two does with litters that are 4 weeks older; two does that are due in 11 days; and one doe that had 2 DOA kits (Buttercup). The does with 4 week old kits definitely have milk, but it's not the right kind they need at 3 days old. The kits definitely can't wait until the pregnant does are due; so my only option was Buttercup, if she was still producing milk. I checked her, and praise the Lord, she's still full of milk! Last night and today I also gave her extra food and calf manna to encourage more milk production. Last night and this morning as well, I nursed the babies on her and they are fat and healthy at this moment. Sadly, I don't trust Buttercup enough to give her the babies full time, so it's more work for me to nurse them once or twice each day, but that's okay. I'll do anything for these babies to make sure they grow healthy and happy.
I wish there was something I could've done for Angie. But unfortunately, I was gone at work and school from 11am to 9pm and nothing could've been done. And even if she had started showing signs during that time, if I was there, even taking her to the vet would've done nothing. It would've already been too late. The only thing the vet could've done is put her down.
By the way, her kits are black and opal. Beautiful healthy babies, their color is so vibrant and rich. One like mom and one like dad (Tucker). I'm really hoping these babies thrive.
I just wanted to explain what happened and how I'm going to raise her babies differently now. Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.