These following blogs will be excerpts from the article, written by Dr. Jay E. Hriez, VMD. All credit goes to Dr. Hriez.
See my previous blog on what plants are toxic to rabbits.
"WHEN IT COMES TO TOXIC SUBSTANCES, RABBITS ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER SPECIES. WHILE SOME SUBSTANCES ARE PERFECTLY HARMLESS IN ANY DOSE TO RABBITS, OTHER SUBSTANCES CAN BE FATAL IF ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT IS INGESTED.
The clinical signs for these plants vary and would take up almost an entire magazine to list them all. Each plant has modified their internal structure with a different poisonous compound, which inflict various side effects when ingested.
Some plants, such as the sweet potato vine, will cause hallucinations and dizziness in your rabbit.
Ingestion of the tomato leaf will result in severe gastrointestinal upset, dilated pupils, and a (dangerously), slow heart rate in rabbits.
Elephant ear leaves are extremely irritating when ingested and can chemically burn the mouth and throat when being chewed and swallowed.
Lantana is a beautiful, mult-colored flowering plant garnishing many US yards. Ingestion of this plant can cause diarrhea and subsequent liver failure.
Brown potatoes are generally safe for rabbits to eat. But green, unripe potatoes can actually have side effects similar to nightshade. This includes depression, salivation, weakness, dilated pupils, diarrhea, a slow heart rate, and ultimately death."
See my next post on What to do if your rabbit ingests a toxin tomorrow!