- Rabbits ARE NOT rodents! They have an extra set of teeth that scientists have realized puts them in the lagomorph class, along with hares and pikas
- Rabbits can live for over 10 YEARS if properly cared for, and if spayed/neutered
- A female rabbit is called a doe
- A male rabbit is called a buck
- A baby rabbit is called a kit. Most people think that "kit" stands for "kitten", but it actually stands for "kitling". Much cuter, in my opinion!
- Rabbits are born with eyes and ears closed and are completely bald/naked
- Rabbits usually give birth at night, when it's quiet and everyone is asleep. Rabbit breeders rarely see their rabbits actually give birth
- A rabbit is pregnant for 28-34 days
- A rabbit is sexually mature at 6 months (in small breeds), but can produce their own offspring as early as 3-4 months old! However, it is very dangerous, and a wise breeder will always wait to breed their rabbit at 6 months old or older
- In the wild, rabbits live underground in a collection of burrows with their bunny friends and family. A collection of burrows is called a warren. This is probably why our domesticated rabbits like tunnels so much!
- Rabbits are crepuscular, meaning they are most active during the early morning and late at night. You will probably never catch your bunny actually sleeping. They take small cat naps during the night and day, but really pass out around midnight for a couple hours
- Rabbits are fast runners and can reach speeds of 30 to 40 miles per hour
- Rabbits have 28 teeth
- A rabbit has five nails on the front feet and four nails on the back feet, 18 nails in all
- Rabbits cannot vomit
- In the UK, the rabbit is the third most popular pet, behind cats and dogs. In the US, they are probably the fourth most popular, behind cats, dogs and fish
- There are around 180 rabbit breeds worldwide!
- Holland Lops come in many, many, MANY colors. I only raise a few
- Holland Lops max out at 4 1/2 pounds - but usually stay under 4lbs
- Rabbits are AWESOME (yes, this is a well-known fact)!!! If you don't believe me, come and see for yourself!
My name is Holly.
I'm glad you're here! Don't be a ghost; leave a comment every once and a while! Let's talk ;)